The Players company dates back to 1920, when a group of young people interested in amateur theatre came together to put on a play to raise money for charity. They hired the Empire Theatre in Longton and the production, ‘Caste’ took place as a matinee performance on February 17th 1921. By 1923 they had begun to call themselves The Stoke-on-Trent Repertory Players. Over the next few years they put on productions in several different venues which included the Theatre Royal in Hanley and the King’s Hall in Stoke.
The dearest wish among our pioneering members in the 1920s was to find a home of their own. In 1929 they were able to rent a large room on the top floor of Webberley’s Bookshop in Hanley where they set up “The Studio”, with seating for an audience of 100.